1. Don’t apply your vinyl wall decals to freshly painted walls. Doing so will probably have the paint come off with the decal when you remove it. The paint needs to settle into the wall for about a month before being safe for wall decals.
2. Oil free paint is best when it comes to vinyl decals. We’re not saying they cannot hold their on this type of paint but they usually stick much more easily to water-based paint.
3. Keep in mind that the more time a wall decal spends on a surface, the more chance there is for it to lift some paint when you remove it. While in most cases the decals will come off without any damage to the wall this is not an absolute guarantee. Plan wisely and select vinyl decals you expect to keep as an integral part of your wall decor for a long time.
4. Always wash your walls before applying a vinyl decal sticker. Having dust between the wall and the decal’s adhesive layer will prevent it from sticking properly. For best results, clean the surface with rubbing alcohol. Wait until it is perfectly dry before putting up your decal.
5. Apply your wall quote decal when it and the surface are at room temperature. If the wall is too cold, this may compromise the decal’s ability to adhere to it initially. Similarly, if the wall is too hot, the adhesive may not hold well.
6. For the reasons just mentioned, it is best to avoid putting a decal where there is direct sunlight or close to a heat source. These will warm up the adhesive layer and diminish its sticking capacity.
7. Another factor that may diminish a decal’s capacity to stick well on a wall is moisture. Placing it above the stove where water will be frequently boiling or in the bathroom where there is a high level of humidity can significantly diminish the decal’s lifespan. In these circumstances get waterproof vinyl decals that can hold their own even in the bathtub!
8. Take the time to layout your entire design before applying your vinyl wall decals. Use tape to hold them in place. This way you are making sure everything is where you want it before you start applying them. It’ll be easy to move shapes around and get exactly the effect you want.
9. Unless you are dealing with white or pale decals, light walls will naturally serve as better backgrounds to display them. Except when dealing with wall quotes or images that will fit well in a floating configuration, consider anchoring your decals to your furniture or other items in the room.
More Wall Quotes: